Buying a new home for the first time is an exciting process. While most new homeowners know that they have to take the trash out on certain days and plunge the toilet when it gets clogged, most young homeowners aren’t really aware of all of the things that need to be done to properly maintain everything in the home. Keep reading to find out what needs to be done in your home on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
Every month, you should make sure that the following things are done to ensure that everything in your home runs smoothly:
- Inspect Your HVAC Filters: Check your filters to make sure that they’re clean every month. If you notice that they’re dirty, replace them with new ones. Failing to do so could stop your entire system from working properly.
- Clean Your Garbage Disposal: If you have a garbage disposal in your home, then you should already know that gunk can build up in it and begin to smell if it’s not cleaned on a regular basis. To avoid that foul smell, clean your garbage disposal once a month.
- Inspect Your Fire Extinguishers: Your in-home fire extinguishers are your first line of defence in the event of a fire. Make sure to check if they’re working on a monthly basis.
Every three months, you need to perform the following tasks to keep everything in your home working the correct way:
- Test Your Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Your smoke detectors and your carbon monoxide detectors could potentially save your life one day so it’s imperative that you check to see if they’re working every once in a while.
There are certain things that are extremely important for the maintenance of your home but they only need to be done once or possibly twice a year. If you haven’t done the following things yet this year, make sure to get them done as soon as possible:
- Clean Your Gutters: Having gutters that are full of debris can be disastrous for your home. This task can be extremely tedious so if you’re not up for the job, you can hire a company that has no issues with cleaning gutters in Perth to get the job done for you!
- A Full Inspection: Once a year, you should go around your home and inspect every aspect of it, including the exterior and the roof, to make sure that there are no problems lurking somewhere.
A homeowner’s main responsibility is to make sure that everything in the home is working the way it’s supposed to. Follow the aforementioned tips and your first home will continue to look amazing until the day you’re ready to move somewhere else!